In this episode of Good Girls Talk About Sex, we talk with Trystan Reese, a transgender white man in a monogamous gay marriage who is 35 years old. In 2017, Trystan gave birth to a baby conceived with his husband Biff. Their story has been shared in People Magazine, CNN, Cosmo and more. You can find them online at BiffAndI.com.
While Trystan has been living as a man for the past 15 years, he was raised and socialized as a female for his first 18 years. That gives him an intimate understanding of both sides of the gender spectrum – including insight into which aspects are biological or hormonal and which are societal.
Here are some of the great moments he shared with us:
- 10:20 – The conversations gay men have BEFORE they start dating that other couples don’t (but should!) have
- 17:35 – An important thing we can learn from Trystan’s strategy of revealing that he’s trans
- 21:30 – Why our relationship to our body is more important than the shape of our body when we’re starting a new relationship
- 35:30 – Should we be telling little girls that they’re beautiful?
- 41:14 – How Trystan’s stay-at-home-dad partner manages his energy so he has enough left over for sex
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Podcast – Dan Savage’s SavageLove podcast
- Book – Cory Silverberg’s book “What Makes A Baby”
- Book – Cory Silverberg’s book “Sex Is A Funny Word”
- Trystan’s website: www.BiffandI.com
The interviews for this podcast usually at least a half hour longer than we have space to fit into an episode. If you’d like to hear the full, unedited version of the interview including a much more in-depth conversation of Trystan’s experience giving birth to his son, join our community at Patreon.
Editor – Gretchen Kilby
Music by – Nazar Rybak