In this episode of Good Girls Talk About Sex, we talk with Kate, a cis-gendered white woman in a monogamous heterosexual marriage who is 37 years old. Kate is a stripper in Portland, Oregon.
I met her one afternoon when I visited Sassy’s with a friend of hers and she sat down to chat with us between sets.
The first thing I noticed about Kate was that even though I had just seen her dancing naked on a pole, she was one of the most articulate and intelligent women I’d met in a long time. She forced me to come face-to-face with my own judgments about sex workers.
Here are some of the great moments Kate shared with us:
- 5:34 – The conversation in Kate’s childhood home about sexuality
- 16:19 – Why being the “pursuer” in a romantic relationship felt empowering for Kate as a teenager
- 28:55 – How Kate got into dancing
- 31:49 – The different degrees of sex work
- 35:15 – Why creating a fantasy is the larger part of sex work
- 36:50 – The different sexual proclivities of men from different cultures
- 38:00 – The Quick Five
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
My conversation with Kate went on for a full 90 minutes and covered a TON more topics – including how she balances a monogamous marriage with her career as a stripper. This is a conversation you DON’T want to miss! To hear it, join our listener community at Patreon for just $5 a month.
Editor – Gretchen Kilby
Music by – Nazar Rybak